Gender Critique

Starting this essay made me reflect on the course as a whole this semester. As I was beginning the last essay I thought about how my process for writing has shifted throughout the semester. To prove to myself (again) that good writing doesn’t need to come from an outline, I began this essay with a draft.

Going into the draft I knew I wanted to talk about Judith Butler’s ideas on gender. I also knew that Judith Butler’s ideas were very complex and that I’ve had difficulty on summarizing these complex academic ideas in the past. I thought about focusing on something different, but eventually pushed on to understand Butler’s ideas. After workshopping the ideas in class, I finally felt that I had a (somewhat) clearer picture of how these ideas might interact with Hamlet and gender critique as a whole.

Working with my notes on Butler I began drafting the first draft of this essay. This draft wasn’t entirely fleshed out and sort of became an outline towards the end as the time constraints put pressure on me. However, I was proud of the fact that I worked from an idea to a draft rather than feeling the need to begin with an outline.

After writing my first draft I brought the draft in for peer review. The peer review comments really helped me think about the argument I was making and gave me ideas on how to better structure the essay. However I was struggling with how to wrap up the essay.

I kept typing away and finally submitted a draft for professor feedback. This draft wasn’t magnificent (especially the ending), but I was proud of the connections and ideas that I had come up with. Because I liked the claim and ideas that I was working with so much I continued to revise this essay after gaining professor feedback. This essay eventually made it into my presentation portfolio in part to how much I liked the idea, but also because of what a great example it was of my newly learned writing process.

If you’d like to learn more about the final version of this essay visit its page, “A Case Study of Masculinity as a Generational Pass Down” in my presentation portfolio.