Historical Contextualization

Historical Contextualization;  the title sounds dry. I did not look forward to this process but similar to close reading I surprised myself. A source study is a process of analyzing different sources either primary or secondary and applying it to the argument. At first glance there may not seem to by any correlation but as if someone flicked on the light switch, there is correlation. Never would I have thought that the English and Native Americans damaged relationship would relate to The Tempest. This is because I never thought that the two time periods would match up or that Shakespeare would want to write of such topics.

I may have had an advantage writing this essay and using Ronald Takaki’s A Different Mirror as the main source because I had been reading it in another class. Ronald Takaki wrote this piece to highlight many events in American history but his chapter of “The Tempest in the Wilderness” connected dots that I never thought would create a picture. The topic of imperialism is something I feel very strongly about, especially cultural imperialism and after reading this chapter it saw it, I clearly saw   Shakespeare’s writing and the English’s approach in the America’s being similar.By reading both The Tempest and “The Tempest in the Wilderness” there can be a better understanding of the English imperialistic mindset. Throughout history there has been a variety of situations where one society had felt dominant over another. Through various sources analyzed there is proof that the colonization of Americas was similar to that of The Tempest. The imperialist mindset of characters damaged relationships similar to the same mindset of the English and Native Americans.

Historical Contextualization Final Essay

Corrinne Justice
Drew Scheler
English 305