Close Reading

This being the first essay of the semester I had a mindset that this would be the writing that I saw the least amount of change in. It was highlighting the writing process that I always struggled and avoided. I always avoided finding textual evidence and analyzing; in fear that it was wrong and readers would not approve of the text chosen. I had taken so many english courses in my life and every instructor told me a different way to go about writing a paper, I could never find the one that worked for me, until this essay. I had always gone in order of writing a draft, intro through conclusion and three supporting paragraphs. This was the typical way taught in high school but soon in college I found out that there was no “right way”.   The length and process depended on each assignment. The goal of this essay was to analyze different pieces of text from The Tempest and form a strong argument. The argument came last after having enough evidence to form a claim. We began by reading this text and simply finding text that had struck us and to reflect on it, soon we were taught how to introduce the text by point out what readers should look for in the preceding text. Next we analyzed the piece by pulling examples from that piece and analyzing its purpose. This was a process that made the creation of an essay and argument incredibly easy, we had found various textual evidence. By analyzing each others close reading assignments in class we soon found that each of our hopeful arguments were very similar and the different approaches brought us closer to a conclusion. After five close reading process assignments it was time to take what we analyzed and form an argument; forming transitions, an introduction and conclusion.

This process was one that I have never used before and made me feel much more confident in my writing as well as my ability to close read. I have always struggled with making one thought more concise and that did reflect in parts of my writing in this essay but less than expected. By finding and analyzing text before forming an argument I found it more effective and easier to form a strong argument. This text seemed quite difficult to me at first but turned out to be eye opening and strengthened my ability to form an argument and concise essay.

Justice Close Reading 1

Corrinne Justice Draft 2 ENG 305