Critical Conversation

A critical conversation is one that happens everyday, in the workplace, school home etc. But when we were introduced to critical conversations as a writing method I struggled with the idea of confronting a known and established author and questions their ideas. Was I supposed to confront Shakespeare? Was I supposed to confront someone else? This was an idea I contemplated with for two days until I decided to redo my last essay based on the imperialistic mindset of the British in The Tempest but also the Americas.

We had the opportunity to revise one of the previous essays and critique the theorist being used and add another to compare. I began to make an outline and started taking comparing both the theories being analyzed in the previous paper and then Paul Brown. This was interesting to see so many similarities but also differences both regarding imperialism, colonialism and The Tempest. By creating this outline it helped the process of understanding how to critique one and strengthen a new argument. I had written out multiple outlines in different classes when going back and forth on my argument and approach.  Again I established both writers and their processes to reach their conclusions. I still struggled with the question if I was supposed to critique Shakespeare but make the decision to not and focus on the two writers at hand and use The Tempest as a foundation.

Next I focused on supporting a claim, this simply felt like taking one writers side over another. The claim came to be that many writers interpret Shakespeare’s setting in The Tempest in various places but he intended it to be in the Mediterranean. I did struggle with this essay and standing my ground in fears to critique two developed authors. This was a newly improved historical contextualization paper with comparisons contributed by Paul Brown.

In conclusion as I developed a draft to complete my thoughts and theories of Brown and Takaki, I struggled to leave behind my close reading habits and dwell soley on evidence of Brown and Takaki. Though I did add one piece of close reading I used it to help establish that solid base of reference for readers. It is important as a writer and a reader to establish a base to always refer to instead of being confused.

CRITICAL CONVERSATION CRITIQUE FOUND HERE