Source-Study

Final Copy_ of Historical Contextualization DraftHistorical Contextualization Draft

To develop my Source-Study Essay, I depended much on what we learned about Close Reading from our essay before. I was exposed to examples of historical contextualization and this also helped me visualize what my essay was going to be like. I knew I had to close read, but also provide background evidence to support Shakespeare’s play, The Tempest. Finding the relevant and compelling background research to support my argument would be the biggest difference to my Close Reading essay.

The example from Robert Kirch really helped me see how I would like my essay to be organized. With that help, I picked a claim and a background source written by Jack Goody that correlated well with what I had to say about the women of Shakespeare’s plays.

After a very rough draft, I decided to run it by Drew and I was able to work out a solid plan for my organization and a good conclusion. What this essay taught me most was that I need to trust my writing and not to judge my ideas so harshly. I also learned a lot about time management and procrastination from this essay that may have lead me to submit something under its potential that I could have given it.

What I still need to work towards the future in this class and my essay writing, is to stay consistent with my claim and to be clear throughout the paper with my argument. I also need to realise that there is no set format or order for each component in the essay. I am used to having so much structure to the papers I write for my Education classes that I expect the same for this class.