Critical Conversation

On this page you will find the third essay which was joining a critical conversation. This paper, just like the first two is still looking at William Shakespeare’s The Tempest. The major topic that I looked at was the colonialism of America and how this links to the mistreatment of the character Caliban. For this piece I used Paul Brown’s work that looks deeper into the colonialism of America. There are two writers that I looked at, one was Hayden WHite and the other one was Richard Johnson. Both of them wrote about THe Tempest and how linked it to the colonialism of America.

The process that I took in writing this paper was similar to the first two. It was a mixture of understanding the idea of colonialism and seeing how it could be seen in the play. In The Tempest we are able to see that the character Caliban was a native to the island that Prospero and Miranda are banished to. Prospero immediately takes control over Caliban and turns him into a slave on his home island. Using the topic of colonialism I was able to find the work by Hayden White. He goes into detail what a slave looked like and his description was a perfect description of Caliban. In founding of the New World, the founders mistreated the Native Americans and took control over them. Understanding this and knowing that the mistreatment happened we are able to see how Shakespeare felt about the Natives from the works by White.

The next author was Richard Johnson, he wrote Look Upon Me London. Using this work it helped to show the reason behind Prospero’s banishment. Johnson informs the readers about expulsion and banishments. He wrote about the warnings to people of power who have lost a certain amount of power and how they are susceptible to become overthrown. Prospero wasn’t aware of what was happening around him for he was too occupied in his studies, when he was telling Miranda the story of why they were banished to the island he knows where he went wrong in ruling.

In writing this paper it was the same as the first two papers. It began here with a rough draft. After the rough draft there was a peer edit with corrections, this can be found here. Once the corrections were made, there was feedback from Professor Scheler that can be found here