Process Portfolio

Welcome to my process portfolio. In this section will take you through the writing process for all six of my essays.

My writing process has never been super organized. While this class has given me more of a structure to follow with each essay, I still like to maintain a sense of fluidity based on what kind of text I am working with, what kind of essay I’m writing, what sort of contexts am I using, and all sorts of specific situations. What follows is a general outline of how I approach an essay.

I start by reading the text. It sounds obvious but it’s probably the most important thing on this list. I underline important passages and take notes in the margins. This will help me later when I decide to chose a problem for a problem frame.

I then work with any critical methodologies that might be useful to me. In the case of these essays, I was assigned specific methodologies to work with, but usually I would chose based on my impressions from my first reading.

Next, I start the writing process. I try to start with a problem frame. I identify a question I have about the text then I build my frame from there. I then have a bad habit of jumping to the claim after I set up the problem, but I am practicing carrying out the next steps before coming up with a thesis.

I then search for helpful pieces of evidence from the text. I usually sketch out a short list and develop it as I go.

This is where my process gets a little muddled. Sometimes I write out an outline. Sometimes I jot notes in a yellow legal pad. Sometime I just start writing. This is the point where my process becomes more creative. It is also the point where I tend to get stuck. Usually I will try anything to get ideas on paper and then I go back and revise and organize later.

Once I get my ideas on the page, I start cleaning everything up. This is usually when I come up with the first draft of my claim. I will revisit this at the end of my writing process.

Somewhere in this process I like to get a peer to look at my work. As a rule of thumb, the more complete the piece is, the better feedback I get.

Once I have a draft that is complete and polished, I turn it in for feedback from an instructor. From there feedback I make revisions.

Close Reading

Historical Contextualization

Entering the Critical Conversation

Psychoanalysis

Social Critique

Feminist Critique