Close Reading

I wanted more than anything to approach this essay in the same way I approach every essay. I wanted to come up with a detailed working thesis, outline a set of topic sentences that relate back to that thesis and wrap it all up with an introduction and conclusion. I have fine tuned this process so that paper writing becomes almost mindless. I can crank out a paper in a couple of hours and I’m good to go for class the next day.

But this time I knew that I needed a new approach. My usual process was easy and produced well organized arguments, but the shortcomings were becoming apparent. My arguments were often forced. I would attempt to wrangle my own ideas out of the text,, often leaping though logical hoops that were difficult to comprehend. I made the text say what I needed it to say because it needed to fit in my outline.

This time, instead of starting my essay with a thesis, I started my essay with a problem frame.

I started with a problem frame about Prospero’s fear of Sycorax. I had vague intentions of turning it into a close reading revealing Prospero’s fear of the feminine divine, but the text alone didn’t lead me to that conclusion or any other discernible conclusion regarding . Check out the small amount I wrote about Sycorax