Close Reading

Sine this was the first essay of the class, I went in a little unsure of exactly how to approach it. It certainly could have gone better. I also think that my attempt at proving  a point through close reading could have used some variation.

The slow thesis process for this paper is exemplarily of why I need to use a very structured process. It took me a while to find a thesis that I was satisfied with, which held up my work on the essay overall. For a while, I had a general idea of what I wanted to talk about because of the process assignments, but not an actual argument. I knew that I wanted to talk about Prospero’s power over Caliban and the master-servant relationship between them, but I couldn’t quite figure out how to do so in a concise and original way. One problem I dealt with was trying to find a topic that wouldn’t require outside sources.This was a major part of what prompted me to organize my writing process for the following essays.

As for the close reading, I had some idea of quotes that I wanted to use, but not an idea of how to narrow down my subject, as it felt a little too long.  This was problematic for me, as I tend to start all of my essays with a thesis, followed by a thorough outline with specific topics and quotes.  Since I couldn’t figure out exactly what I wanted to say in my thesis, I couldn’t form an argument. After several revisions, I got to the thesis that I decided to use.

I did not outline this essay in the way that I outlined other ones. Once I finally had my thesis nailed down, I threw together a first draft, which I turned in for peer review with notes for myself still in the document. My Peer Reviewer had some helpful suggestions for how I could expand on my essay, and how I could go more in depth on the topic.

When I turned my first draft of the essay in for review from my Professor, I got very different Comments from him than I did from my peer reviewer. All of his comments were implemented in the final draft, found in my Presentation portfolio as “The Power of Trust in the Tempest”

When it comes to reading The Tempest, I learned that I need to be careful when it comes to close reading. When trying to close read, I sometimes find myself drifting out of analysis of the words and into summary of what’s happening, because I feel like I need to contextualize what I’m saying or I can’t figure out what to say. While the context might prove something that I’m trying to argue, my close reading might not, or I might overlook the important parts of what I’m trying to say. I need to start close reading sooner in the process to avoid this.