Biography

So you want to read about me. Well, prepare to be amazed! The things I am about to tell you will shock and awe you! Probably not, but you’ve got to start out strong when you’re introducing yourself.

Hi, there. I’m Reilly Jacisin and this is my portfolio. I was born and raised in De Pere, WI (well, technically I was born in Green Bay, but potayto-potahto). I moved once and it was from one part of east De Pere to another, so as you can see, my life has been full of all sorts of drama and adventure.

I’ve always loved reading. It’s one of my favorite things to do! Some might even say that I read too much, but I have a question for those people. Is it too much if I’m constantly late getting places because I was reading? Is it too much if I’m reading even when the deadlines for homework and projects are quickly approaching? The answer, of course, is a resounding yes. But I’m aware of my flaws, so that has to count for something, right?

When I first got to college, I didn’t have a major. I didn’t know what I wanted to do, so I took a couple of classes to see if anything piqued my interest. Nothing really did, but I did eventually realize that I had always enjoyed my English classes in school, so why not make that my major? So I did! For a whole semester. I had failed to account for the fact that being an English major would mean that I would have to write. A lot. I may love reading, but writing and I have never been the best of friends. After I came to this realization, I switched my major and minor around, so now I’m a communication major and an English minor.

I kept English as a minor because I do think that literature is important. Literature informs the way we think and act, and it infiltrates our everyday lives and pop culture. Take, for example, Shakespeare. I’ll be talking to one of my friends and for whatever reason, we’ll find a reason to quote the famous stage direction “Exit pursued by a bear”. Or, there’s a shirt I have that makes sure to reference the exact act, scene, and line where the word “No” is said in Hamlet. And literature isn’t just about the memes. It can also be a way to talk about modern issues, whether it outright says it, or turns it into an allegory like the book Watership Down–a book I’ve never read, but know contains many themes that people today struggle with.

Literary analysis matters because you could read the same book seven different times and get something new from it every single time depending on what lens you’re looking at it through. That’s what I like about reading. It changes you. Maybe not all the time, and maybe you don’t even notice it when it does, but you always pick up something new when you read.