Historical Contextualization

When it came time to write this historical contextualization essay, I didn’t have much of a plan. To be honest, I had no idea where to even start. Eventually, I just decided to read some of the sources provided for us and see where I could go from there.

On the plus side, that led me right to where I wanted to go. One of the works I read was a chapter from Niccolo Machiavelli’s The Prince. I thought it was interesting, so I wanted to see how it could be applied to The Tempest. What I determined was that it couldn’t really. In his work, Machiavelli talks about how a prince should be feared rather than loved in order to have the most control over his subjects. It seemed to me, though, that in the play, Shakespeare did the exact opposite of that. It seemed that Prospero had better control over the servant that didn’t completely fear him. So that was what I wrote this paper about.

However, I’m rather well known among my friends for being a horrible procrastinator, so I didn’t quite have an entire first draft written for the day we were to peer review. Fortunately, I got some wonderful feedback on what I did have, as well as some ideas for what else to say and some possible quotes I could use. It really helped me to make a more complete paper.

In the end, though, I still ended up procrastinating horribly on the paper and was still working on it the last couple of minutes before it was due. If I’ve learned anything from this assignment, it’s that in order to get my best writing, I really need to work on my time management skills. I need to get my writing done at least the day before so that I can go over it and edit.