Psychoanalysis and Subconscious Fears in Poe’s “The Fall of the House of Usher”

For my reader response paper, I chose to apply Norman Holland’s identity theory to my personal readings of Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Fall of the House of Usher.” I use the psychoanalytic properties of reading a text to showcase my own mental disorder and how I have reacted to the story. Using Wolfgang Iser’s theory, I fill in the “gaps” of the text using my own disordered mental processes and therefore can deeply relate to Roderick on a mental level.

At length, I debated including my reader response paper in my portfolio. My innermost fears and desires are laid bare on the pages and I feel naked. Quite frankly, I am horrified when I observe the level of self-reflection needed to write my reader response. The fear, however, is what makes me realize I need to include my reader response paper in my portfolio. My disorder is what makes me who I am, no matter how much I try and hide it or cope with it. It will always be with me; it is imprinted on my past, is achingly present each day, and it haunts my future ambitions, so I figure there is no logical reason why it should be left out of my portfolio.