Process Portfolio

When I begin writing on a text, I will first sit down and allow ideas to come to me about the work itself. What stood out to me? Which theme interests me the most, and how can I expand on it? Once I have figured out a topic for my critical essay, I begin researching the topic and browse scholarly journals and books for information that I find useful. I prefer using hard copies of all of my research materials so I can physically document my thought process and how I want to connect the research to my topic or thesis. Once I feel I have sufficient research and my most recent documentation of the order of my argument seems solid, I will begin drafting. After a draft is complete, I will leave it be for a day or so. In the meantime, I allow my subconscious to continue to expand on my ideas and when I return to the paper I can see my work with fresh eyes and new additions.

In my process portfolio, I share the many steps of writing and re-writing necessary to complete the final drafts of my essays. For each of the essays below, I display the drafts and revisions that aided in the composition of the final draft for my presentation portfolio.

Close Reading: Light versus Dark: Shades of Evil in Henry James’ The Turn of the Screw

Summary/Evaluation:Summary and Evaluation, Abstract, and Keyword Search for Eagleton, Graff, and Iser

Feminist and Gender: The New Masculinity: Reaction to Empowered Feminism in The Sun Also Rises

Psychoanalytic: The Horror of the Inexpressible: Misophonia in Poe’s “The Fall of the House of Usher”

New Historical: Mesmerism and Fear of Institutionalization in Poe

Reader Response: Psychoanalysis and Subconscious Fears in Poe’s “The Fall of the House of Usher”