Essay 3: Psychoanalytic

Here is my psychoanalytic paper.  At the beginning of the assignment, I read all the assigned short stories, and after I finished them all, I weaned down the options to my favorite stories.  ”Young Goodman Brown” ended up winning over the others.  Reading it for the third time since high school, I still enjoyed Nathaniel Hawthorne’s short story.  I then played with how Hawthorne’s characters related to Freud’s id, ego, and superego identities for the psychoanalyzing side of the paper.  I connected the id with the Devil, the ego with Goodman Brown, and the superego with Young Goodman Brown’s spirituality.  After writing the first paper and receiving comments on it, I altered the id from representing the Devil to sin, or Hawthorne’s Puritan notion of original sin.  Once I made that change, on the third draft, I added in more sources to strengthen the paper as well as concretely show the Puritan notion of original sin.  The paper grew smoother and felt like it had a stronger backbone.  By my fourth draft, I fixed some minor errors and broke the overly long paragraphs up into more decent sized ones.  Overall, I am proud of how this turned out.

41xO7eqhD-L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_Young-Goodman-Brown

Psychoanalytic Rough Draft

Peer Review Psychoanalytic

First Draft

Track Changes from 1st to 2nd Draft

Second Draft

Psycho Second Draft to Third Draft Track Changes

Psycho Third Draft

Psycho Fourth Draft