Essay 1: Close Reading

Here is my process of writing my close reading on The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.  I first began by reading the suggested works for the close reading paper.  I read Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, The Awakening, and The Turn of the Screw.  After reading these three works, The Turn of the Screw lingered in my mind.  The ambiguity of the novel captured my attention and lead me to mulling over the lack of communication throughout the story.  Eventually, this lead me to writing my close reading on The Turn of the Screw with a focus on how the lack of communication caused the madness and deaths in the story.  I began with a general essay about how the story used the lack of communication to create the tension of the piece, paraphrasing the majority of the evidence to present the bare bones of what I was attempting to say.  In my second draft, I ditched the paraphrasing and integrated the actual quotes from the novel.  After integrating the quotes, I felt much more accomplished with the paper and enjoyed delving deeper into the novel.  For the third draft, I fixed some minor formatting issues and re-touched my thesis.

Picture2

Peer Review

First Draft

Track Changes From First Draft to Second

Second Draft

Third Draft