Essay 1

The first essay I have in my presentation folder is my close reading paper.  Coincidentally, this was also the first paper I wrote for English 305.  I began the paper after reading the four required novels, The Turn of the Screw, Alice in Wonderland, Alice Through the Looking Glass, and The Awakening.  After reading these, The Turn of the Screw stuck with me over the others.  I chose that to write my close reading on and scribbled down all I knew about it in my notebook.  After that, I reread The Turn of the Screw, put post-it notes all over it to write notes to myself, and took notice of what is important to my brewing argument.  Then I hammered out a first draft that captured the general idea of my paper: that communication is important to people or they can go mad.  In the second draft, I went back, deleted all of the initial paraphrasing, and inserted direct quotations into the paper. From the start, I was confident that I could write a decent close reading paper because of my high school writing experience being primarily close readings. Now, I feel even better about how to trek through writing close readings and revising them.  Welcome to the madness.

Click the link below for my essay:

The Turn of the Screw and the Importance of Communication